10 Toxic And Dangerous Foods For Dogs
Freshwoof Blog

10 Toxic And Dangerous Foods For Dogs


You probably want to share your yummy food with your pup, after all who can say “No” to those puppy-eyes. There are various human foods that you can share with your pooch such as fruits and vegetables that are packed with vitamins & minerals. However, there are few foods that can be dangerous or fatal. Should be kept out of your dog’s reach, no matter how many times your dog shows you the puppy-eyes.

  1. Chocolate

Chocolate might be a delicious treat for us, but for dogs, it's more like a trip to the emergency vet. Chocolate contains theobromine, which dogs can’t metabolize effectively. Even a small amount can lead to symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, and seizures. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate are particularly dangerous due to their high theobromine content. If your pup gets into your secret stash, it's time to call the vet pronto!

  1. Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins are tiny fruits with a big punch – of danger! These innocent-looking snacks can cause severe kidney failure in dogs. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and decreased appetite. Even a small amount can be harmful, and the exact toxic dose varies between individual dogs. If your dog decides to snack on these, rush them to the vet immediately.

  1. Onions

Onions, whether raw, cooked, or powdered, contain compounds that can damage red blood cells in dogs, leading to anemia. Symptoms include weakness, vomiting, breathlessness, and a reddish tint to urine. Large quantities or repeated exposure can be particularly harmful. So, keep the onion rings to yourself and let your dog munch on something safer.

  1. Xylitol

Xylitol might sound like a futuristic robot, but it’s actually a sugar substitute that’s extremely toxic to dogs. Found in sugar-free gum, candy, baked goods, and even some peanut butter brands, xylitol causes a rapid release of insulin in dogs, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Symptoms include vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and liver failure. Even small amounts can be life-threatening, so check those labels carefully!

  1. Alcohol

Alcohol has a much stronger effect on dogs than humans. Even a few sips of beer, wine, or spirits can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, and in severe cases, death. Keep all alcoholic beverages and foods containing alcohol out of your dog’s reach. Your pup doesn’t need a nightcap – they’re already a party animal!

  1. Uncooked Dough

Uncooked dough, especially yeast dough, is highly toxic to dogs due to its ability to expand and produce ethanol. When a dog ingests uncooked dough, the yeast ferments in the stomach, creating carbon dioxide and alcohol. This can lead to alcohol poisoning, causing symptoms such as vomiting, disorientation, respiratory distress, and seizures. Additionally, the dough can expand within the warm, moist environment of the stomach, leading to severe bloating and potentially a life-threatening condition called gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV), where the stomach twists. The expanding dough can also cause intestinal blockages, requiring immediate medical attention. Therefore, it is essential to keep uncooked dough away from dogs to prevent these serious health risks.

  1. Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts might be a fancy treat for humans, but for dogs, they're a ticket to tummy trouble. These nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia in dogs. Symptoms usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and can last up to 48 hours. Keep these posh nuts out of paw’s reach.

  1. Caffeine

Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, energy drinks, and certain medications. It stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, causing restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, and bleeding. In severe cases, it can lead to death. Ensure your dog doesn’t have access to caffeinated products. Your dog is hyper enough without the caffeine jolt!

  1. Cooked Bones

Cooked bones, can splinter easily and cause choking, internal injuries, or blockages in a dog’s digestive tract. These risks are particularly high with chicken bones. These splinters can puncture or block a dog's gastrointestinal tract, leading to life-threatening conditions that may require emergency surgery. Secondly, cooked bones can break into pieces that are small enough to become choking hazards, posing an immediate risk of suffocation. Additionally, cooked bones can cause dental issues, such as cracked or broken teeth, leading to pain and potential infections.

  1. Fruit Seeds and Pits

Seeds and pits from certain fruits, such as apples, cherries, peaches, and plums, can be hazardous to dogs. These seeds and pits contain cyanogenic glycosides, which can release cyanide when chewed and ingested. Cyanide interferes with cellular oxygen transport, leading to symptoms like vomiting, difficulty breathing, and in severe cases, death. Additionally, the pits can cause choking or intestinal blockages. Keep the fruit snacks pit-free for your pooch!


Being aware of these dangerous foods is crucial for any dog owner. Always keep these items out of reach and educate family members and visitors about the risks. If your dog ingests any of these foods, contact your veterinarian immediately. By taking proactive measures, you can help ensure your furry friend stays healthy and happy. Because a healthy dog means more tail wags, more fetch games, and more sloppy kisses – and who wouldn’t want that?

7 Ways To Increase Your Dog’s Life Span!
Dog Food Allergy – Causes, Symptoms & Best Food!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.